Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 15, 2013

No end to the beginning of Love!



The 15th and 16th of every June are two very happy-sad days.  Happy because my sister’s birthday is the 15th (and she will always be older:), but sad because the following day the Craig Family and many friends lost a super special person…his name was Kip, Uncle Kip, or just plain ‘ol Uncle to some!  If there ever was an angel on this earth, it was surely he.  A warm soul sent from above, Uncle was always kind, gentle, and willing to lend a helping hand.  He never married or had children of his own, but for some reason kids gravitated towards him.  Must have been that sparkle in his eye we all miss so much!  He was one who when he smiled, he did so with his eyes and his heart.  There are countless memories I hold close of this dear man, like letting me drive in circles around the garage not caring that his lush green grass he took such great care of wore down to gravel.  Taking the tractor or the lawn mower for a “spin”, picking rocks out of the garden, and apples from The Apple Tree, Amy and I putting our little plastic barrettes in what little hair he had left!  Or perhaps one of the most precious memories, sitting in his lap as a little girl watching The Price is Right as he told me the story of “This Little Piggy” with my toes.  It is especially difficult this year being up on the farm as I am surrounded by visions of him at every turn.  Watching him tend his garden, or mow the lawn, sitting in his recliner napping with the newspaper on his chest, or even over his head J.  All such precious memories, those that I will treasure always!
I’ll never forget the numerous phone calls between Mum and I the couple of weeks leading up to him going home.  On Wednesday she called and said, “Joy, you need to come home, we don’t have much time and Uncle is asking “where’s April”?”  Needless to say I was on a plane the very next morning.  Still hoping, praying, crying and telling myself, he’ll be fine…he always bounces back!  But deep in my heart I knew this was it.  I arrived on the 12th and he put his arms out for a hug…oh goodness what a change from the Uncle I always knew…the sparkle in his eye was getting dim.  We all took turns the next few days, watching out for him, sitting up with him at night.  I remember falling asleep one of those nights with my head on his arm, I just couldn’t leave him.  All the years he was there for me, it’s the least I could do.  Then that fateful Monday night.  A few days previous the hospice nurse reminded Mum to make sure she left a window cracked so the angels knew where to come when he was ready to go…so we did just that to the window by his bed.  Even the animals knew.  Zeke cuddled with him between his legs and Zoey by his side looking out of that cracked window, as if watching, waiting.  I, along with other family, sat with him, we all knew it wouldn’t be long.  I was encouraging him that we were okay, he could go, he didn’t need to hang on anymore.  At 11:16PM he slipped silently into Heaven.   The imprint he left on the people of those who met him was indeed life-long.  He is rejoicing now with his parents, brothers, sisters, other family and dear friends, and in that, we should remain comforted!  Don’t get me wrong, it still gets difficult and at times I think we all have our “days”, but knowing that he is in a place far better than this renders a peaceful feeling of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment